Phillip Stackhouse is a man who knows military law. He has spent the last 20 years representing men and women in the Armed Forces all around the world, during and after serving his country for 22 years in the United States Marine Corps. Throughout his career, Phil has tried approximately 200 jury trials to verdict as both a defense attorney and prosecutor, assisted hundreds of clients in resolving their case through plea agreements, and supervised the defense and prosecution of several hundred other cases. He was certified and sworn as a military judge in 2004. His trial skills are exemplary, and he has been invited to lead national and international courses on military, criminal, and plaintiff litigation. Considered a national military litigation expert, Phil teaches advanced trial skills at the highly-regarded Gerry Spence Trial Layers College and also teaches at the joint service “Advanced Trial Advocacy Course” hosted by the Department of the Air Force.
While a Marine, Phil represented military men and women in some of the most prominent cases of his time. Notably, he was the lead military attorney in the high-profile “Romanian Rockstar” case, defending a Marine accused of killing a popular Romanian musician in Romania, resulting in international outrage when he was acquitted. Through this case, and many others, Phil learned the nuances of working on cases with significant media interest, and he has mastered how to best represent clients and their interests in the current world of 24/7 news. He has also worked extensively with medical professionals in defending and representing service members with Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury related to their service. In this capacity, Phil has worked closely with Members of Congress in his representation of military members returning from combat actions overseas to ensure that their rights are protected and are not at risk of losing their life–time benefits.
Phil’s vast breadth of experience also includes representing clients in criminal military federal matters including, murder, homicide, manslaughter, rape and sexual assault, espionage, child pornography, computer crimes, drug distribution, possession and use, aggravated assault and battery, sexual harassment, AWOL and unauthorized absence, perjury and fraud.
His expertise also extends to his work in handling administrative matters before the Defense Office of Hearing and Appeals for Security Clearance matters, the Military Discharge Review Boards to upgrade discharges, the Military Boards for Correction of Military Records, and Delay and Exemption Boards to keep mobilized reservists home.
Phil not only takes great pride in his work, but also in being a supportive husband and partner to his wife Renee, and a father to their son Gabe.
Phil is a consultant for Stackhouse, APC. He is not licensed to practice law in California State Court at this time.
Media Inquiries/Public Speaking/Consulting
Phil is available for media appearances on military law, war crimes, security clearance issues, and federal criminal cases. Phil is also available for legal association/education panels on military law and military law intersecting with criminal law. He has qualified to serve as an expert witness in state court on military law and is available to serve as a consultant on cases where military expertise is needed, as well.
- Colorado, 2014
- District of Columbia, 2010
- Military courts worldwide
- North Carolina, 2007
- Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2004
- Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts, 1999
- United States Court of Appeals of the Armed Forces, 2006
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Wyoming
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- Wyoming, 2014
- USMC, Infantry Officer
- USMC, Lead Legal Advisor April 2000 Osprey Mishap Investigation
- USMC, Military Justice Officer
- USMC, Senior Defense Counsel
- Advanced Trial Advocacy Course, USAF Judge Advocate General School
- California Lawyers Association Solo & Small Firm Section
- Defense of the Damned, Trial Lawyers College
- Department of the Navy “Defending Complex Cases”
- National Defender Investigator Association Presenter
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law, National Trial Team Presenter
- Trial Lawyers College Weeks 1, 2, and 3
- Trial Lawyers College Graduate Course I
- Trial Lawyers College Regional Programs (all trial skills)
Awards, Honors and Accolades
- AVVO Rated 10.0 (Superb)
- Veteran & Military Entrepreneur Awards, San Diego Business Journal
- Outstanding Career Armed Services Attorney Award, Judge Advocate’s Association
- Meritorious Service Medal (x 2)
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medal
- Who’s Who of American Law Students
- Dean’s Award, Western New England University